Crystal-Luxury Cruises
Crystal-Luxury Cruises
Off Beat Retreats
Fun and Sun
Weekend -Get-Aways
Family Friendly
Travel the World
Outside of the Box

Escape. Discover. Relax.
Travel the World
Liz Elegant Travel
Your Travel Specialist

Passport requirements, both in the United States and around the world, are quite strict. The rules dictate who
can apply  for a U.S. Passport, what is required to obtain one, the proper way to use it and the procedure to
renew it. U.S. Passports  are issued by the United States government to its citizens. They verify identity and
citizenship while traveling abroad.  A passport is now required to travel to all foreign countries.

Passport Application

All citizens of the United States are eligible for a U.S. Passport. Citizens must submit a passport application at a
U.S.b Passport office or through an authorized agent at a post office, library or local government building. The
application must  be accompanied by a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, valid photo identification,
two passport-sized photos and a passport processing fee. This fee is $100 for citizens 16 years and older. A
passport application takes about 1 month to  process and is valid for 10 years.

Child Passport

Children 15 years and younger must apply for a child passport. This can only be done at a passport office in
person with a parent present. In addition to all the documents required for an adult passport, a child passport
application must also be  accompanied by proof of the child's relationship to the parents. This can be a birth
certificate with the parent's names on  it or an adoption decree. The parents must also sign a consent form
allowing the passport to be processed. If only one  parent is present, then the other parent must fill out a
notarized statement of consent form. The fee is $85 for a child  passport. The application takes about 1 month to
process and is valid for 5 years.

Passport Renewal

U.S. Passports should be renewed at least 6 months before they expire. Many countries forbid entry to those
with less than 6 months' validity left on their passports. U.S. Passports can be renewed through the mail as long
as the old  passport is not damaged, was issued no more than 15 years ago, was issued under the same name
and was issued to someone at least 16 years old at the time. If you do not qualify, then the passport renewal
must be applied for in person.  You are required to submit a passport renewal form, two passport-sized photos,
a fee of $75 and the old passport. The old passport will be invalidated and returned to you as a souvenir.
Passport renewals take about 1 month to process and are valid for 10 years.

Passport Use

All U.S. citizens are required to present their valid U.S. Passport to immigration officials upon departure from
and entry into a country. This includes departure from and entry into the United States, Canada, Mexico and
Caribbean countries.
In the past, movement between these areas did not require a passport in some instances. That has changed.
Airlines also require you to show them your valid passport before they put you on a flight. Immigration officials
sometimes stamp the pages of a passport to indicate the place and date of an entry into or exit from a countr


U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter
or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated
government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be
able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of
Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social
Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.


Visas are required by certain countries for citizens of certain other countries to visit. You must apply for a visa
at an embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit. If a visa is granted, a stamp is placed on a page of
your passport.  When you arrive in that country, the visa in your passport is stamped along with the passport
itself to signify that you entered the country and used the visa. The issuing country will only grant a visa if the
passport is valid. Some countrieswill only issue visas if the passport will be valid for 6 months past the planned
date of departure from their country
Passports - U.S. Department of State
© 2005-2019  Liz Elegant Travel - All Rights Reserved
Liz Elegant Travel                                                  LIZ ELEGANT TRAVEL COMPANY POLICIES

(916) 304-2246 OFFICE                                                 
(916) 525-2337 FAX



Travel the World
Outside of the Box
Travel the World
Outside of the Box
Home        Cruising        Travel Service        Events        Group        Wedding       Passport        Company
Back Home